Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What's on your dog or cat's paws?

I found her one day sniffing around under the sink. Moneypenny, my tabby housecat, was exploring as cats do, discovering new worlds by smell. That was fine, until I noticed she had knocked over a bottle of cleaner, creating a small spill. She wasn't drinking any of the liquid, but it got me thinking.

Looking at the label, I saw that floor cleaner is made of weird stuff I'd never heard of. Naturally, a warning not to ingest it was right there too, along with directions of what to do if you accidentally did.

Which is great unless you're a household pet and can't read, and don't know how to call the vet by yourself. Then matters are more tricky.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that night, I was watching Moneypenny clean herself. She was licking her paws, being as thorough as always, when it hit me: cats and dogs ingest lots of stuff from the environment without knowing it. A lot goes into their mouths simply because whatever ends up on their paws or their coats is likely to end up in their mouths.

So I tossed away all my horrid toxic cleaners, and started again, with my pets in mind.

No comments: