Wednesday, March 4, 2009

She sees everything


Cat eyes transfix me. When Moneypenny - shown here with her bag packed for spring break - looks at me with those big golden-green peepers, it's all I can do to not stare back.

But, as I discovered years ago, not looking into a cat's eyes is a good thing. Apparently they interpret returned stares as aggression, or at least as confrontational. I'm imagining now, but that would likely give rise to confusion in the cat's head.

As her owner, I try to look after her by showing every sign of wanting to be close and friendly. And yet if I stare without looking away, I am giving her a nasty look that she thinks means "Hey, I might want to fight you!"

As in any relationship, mixed messages aren't good. So I look away from those eyes, in the interests of domestic cat-harmony.

2 comments:

DocAnnie said...

Feline eye contact etiquette.

This is why, I believe, that my Sam doesn't like having his picture taken.

The camera and I, pointed directly at his face, even at a polite distance: it's still just plain rude!

Tim said...

Ah, yes. Mr Sam doesn't like it either? Poor boy gets a little confused when his momma is so sweet to him, and yet commits this obvious no-no.

Humans are so silly.