Monday, March 30, 2009

Catnap



Accepted wisdom is that cats sleep approximately fifteen hours a day. No wonder I have an affinity for them. Lazy day fantasies aside, I notice my girls indulge in three different kinds of sleep.

The first is a really deep sleep, when they're obviously out to it. In the curled up position, they often cover their eyes, and when woken, are clearly coming to consciousness. Just like us, they can be seen twitching and moving, as if dreaming...or at least there's something going on in there.

The second is what I call light snoozing, kind of like napping would be for us. Their body position is less protective, and can often be fully stretched out. Eyes closed, relaxed, slow breathing, they have the lot. But it takes less to wake them, and they're not as startled if I do wake them accidentally.

The third is almost not sleeping at all, more like a dozy wakefulness. Although they can be in almost any position for this, they're often in the cat-loaf mode, with all the legs tucked neatly away. If need be, they can spring to action quickly, if, for example, they smell food. It's almost like they're meditating. Who knows, perhaps they are.

Are yours the same?

Here are some more catnap facts.

Edit: And for good measure, a cat in deep sleep.

4 comments:

Girl said...

Cat-loaf is my favourite look followed closely by the curled up, paw covered face.

I would love to be able to curl up like that.

Tim said...

Ah, quite. To have that flexibility of body would be nice...and the flexibility of mind to ignore everything around as well.

Cat-loaf. It always reminds me of the coffee-table cat photo. That was very cute.

DocAnnie said...

From the interesting link you provided:

"Don't ever respond to a feline demanding that you get up either, or you are doomed to be awakened by your cat forever."

Ha! Too late for me, this caveat.

As for catnaps, I've always wondered why my boys don't curl up together and snooze, especially when it's cold.

Do you know, Tim, if pussycat-spooning is common?

Tim said...

Ha! I thought the same thing when I read that too, Doc. We've made rods for our own backs, and early morning calls, by letting the cats be boss.

(Not that I'd change a thing, mind you.)

Pussy-cat spooning; now there's a good topic. My two used to lie together companionably when they were young, without rancour. As they matured, competition (I think for my affection) stopped that, sadly.

I read somewhere that a number of female cats living together will always vie to determine who is "Queen."

Sounds like warfare (and sometimes looks like it!) rather than snuggling. What a pity. Nature really is vicious and cruel.